i found a recipe for the BEST alfredo sauce that i've ever had. and that's a big statement, because i consider myself a pasta connoisseur. this recipe came from Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen. i got it as a wedding present and use it for pretty much everything. here it is:
guiltless alfredo sauce (i have no idea how they say it's guiltless, but whatev)
2 cups milk
1/3 cup (3 oz.) cream cheese
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. blend milk, cream cheese, flour and salt in a blender until smooth and set aside.
2. in a large nonstick saucepan melt butter on medium-high heat and add the garlic. saute the garlic for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. add the milk mixture to the pan. stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or until it just comes to a simmer. keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more or until the sauce thickens, about 6-7 minutes.
4. once the sauce has started to thicken, remove from heat. whisk the cheese into the sauce and immediately cover the pan.
5. allow the sauce to stand for at least 10 minutes before using. it will continue to thicken upon standing. serve immediately.
sooooo good! and guiltless! or so the mormon moms claim...